Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 Years Ago.....

You been on the sauce again Noah.

Trowbridge Town

Probably saw quite a few games at Horton Road late 60s.However,remember my real first away game which was in 1970 at Hillingdon Borough.
    Getting on supporters coach at Horton Road after dodging water filled potholes in the car park.
    I always remember there was a chap who used to sell pork pies on the return journey,Goughie told me who he was but for the life of me can't recall his name.
    No doubt some one will remember him.Up the City

Was checking Tiger Roar for date of my first City experience .. 1-0 win vs Yeovil in FA Trophy, January 1991. Noticed that season included a November friendly home to Dinamo Minsk (lost 4-1). How did that come about?

I believe that they had a number of tour games arranged and that we stepped in when there was a problem with one of their fixtures going ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I believe that they had a number of tour games arranged and that we stepped in when there was a problem with one of their fixtures going ahead
    And wasn’t that reason we ended up in Georgia the following pre-season?

Quote Originally Posted by drbob View Post
    and itís too far (and too expensive) to go to Liverpool more than once a season. The rest is history!
    That was the same with us too. We'd been to Aston Villa three years running then went to Watford twice but it was a once a year thing. We could go and watch City and be home for tea!

Mid 1960's Horton Road was where I saw a couple of games. My mates uncle played for City (but I'm buggered if I can remember his surname), Moved then 25 miles up into the Cotswolds and lost contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Der Floof View Post
    And wasn’t that reason we ended up in Georgia the following pre-season?
    Correct

Cant remember the 1st team but i remember the pot holes in the gravel car park at Horton Road and the mud behind the goals when it rained!

CityCol that would have been Brian Frean (surname might be spelt wrong) worked for Hilliars of Nailsworth the bacon and pie company based in Newmarket Nailsworth.