Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 Years Ago.....

40 Years Ago.....

September 1st 1979, I stepped in Horton Road for the very first time to watch City.

FA Cup game against Bridgend Town that we lost 2-0 but I kept coming back.

I know there are folk out there who have been going longer than me so was just wondering what other people’s first game was.

FA Trophy against Weymouth 94. I went to the very next game which was the FA cup against Merthyr, what a win that was!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Joly's Publicist View Post
    FA Trophy against Weymouth 94. I went to the very next game which was the FA cup against Merthyr, what a win that was!
    Was that the 7-1 game?

It certainly wasn't my first game, but the one that sticks in my mind most was the Southern League Cup Final 2nd leg in 1956 when we beat Yeovil Town 5-1. For me, nothing has come close since. I am now 75 and don't go to matches anymore... although when/if we ever return to Gloucester you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Der Floof View Post
    Was that the 7-1 game?
    That's the one!

This is me and bruvs 52nd season- can’t remember the details of the first game but were hooked and have been ever since. Remember waiting for the Pinkun to come in to see how we did on away matches. How far we have come.

Ian I think this was one of my first games as well, certainly the very late 70s was the time I started going although I cannot remember which game, why, who with, or what the result was.

There were a number of teams in those days who we no longer play because of their extinction, drastic promotion or relegation, or simply name change.

Enderby Town (later Leicester United)
    A P Leamington
    Bridgend
    Burton Albion
    R S Southampton
    Oldbury Town
    Milton Keynes City
    Barry Town

My first memory of City matches were the two 5-0 defeats to Cheltenham (apologies for the swear word) in the Southern League Cup in 1977.

Rob K dragged me along to those two matches and the occasional match at Horton Road in the early eighties. I never saw City win a match at Horton Road - the best was a 1-1 draw, but I can’t remember against which team.

After the move to Meadow Park I started attending regularly as my son wanted to watch live football and it’s too far (and too expensive) to go to Liverpool more than once a season. The rest is history!

I can most readily remember yesterday’s game with York. Enjoyed the chat with Badger, Goughie and Dr. Bob. Spoke with Clifty, Dom Joly’s Publicist, Judith and John and Forest Fred (!) on my way back from the stainless steel urinal at halftime. Thought to myself “I really love watching this club and enjoying this company”. Think these things need to be said