Thread: Chris Gabb

Chris Gabb

Saddened to learn this morning of the passing of a long time club stalwart Chris Gabb. Many will not realise just the size of the contribution that Chris made to the club during his many years of support to Gloucester City.

A true gentleman who will be dearly missed by all. Thoughts with the Gabb family at this time - RIP Chris.
    The Severn Sport Night In - every week on www.severnsport.co.uk

Many of us will have known Chris personally, albeit in respect of GCAFC many may only have known his name as he was a major shareholder and financial benefactor over many years.

I go back almost 50 years when we first met, because Chris was courting Sue Crew-Smith and her Dad Paul was Chairman at the Club. Many evenings with my wife we would share a meal at Kenís Chines Restaurant. Happy memories and also evenings spent at Horton Road Stadium.

Over the decades Chris has therefore supported the Club in many ways. Although his preference in sport was rugby, by marrying into the C-S family he became involved in the football side of the City and his wisdom and experience has been instrumental over the years and this will be sadly missed.

Chris had just celebrated his 70th birthday and I only spoke to him last week. He still had a lot to give. All I can say is that he showed outright class and dignity right up to the end, bravely battling against the odds. It was what made him a very successful businessman and he has contributed to much of the infrastructure which forms part of the City of Gloucester, the County and the Region. He grew Barnwood Builders into a formidable company and a market leader in the construction industry.

I am sure many may wish to pass their own reflections but I could not let this day go by without thanking Chris and his lovely family for the commitment to the Club.

Thank you Chris and deepest condolences to Sue and the family.
    Last edited by Brandman; 20-07-19 at 11:59 AM.

Really sad to hear this news, thoughts and prayers are with his family

RIP Chris

Only met him a couple of times. Classic case of an unsung hero.

Contributed hugely to keep our club afloat, yet the majority wouldn't know anything about him, as he n ever wanted or sought any recognition for his huge imput.

Thoughts are with his loved ones.

RIP.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

One of our mystery backers through the years.
    Painful times where his nearest and dearest need our condolences and support.
    Best wishes .

Others knew him a lot better then me, but he certainly came across as a throughly nice chap when I met him. My condolences to Chris' family and friends