Thread: Stockport County.

Stockport County.

Their final game away from home to Nuneaton Borough is ALL,TICKET and The Hatters have sold circa 3000 by the close of play today. Now that is some travelling support for an away game. And yes I do know they will be crowned Champions if they win. I am there too. Just hope, if they succeed, their fans stay off the pitch otherwise they will not see any trophy presentation.

League club that lost its way,stadium is a decent league 1 stadium tbf.
    Just goes to show that once you’re a league club you gain a lot of followers who get attached and continue to follow even if they don’t stay in the league, Hereford,Torquay are other examples.

I will be slightly surprised if all 3000 stay off the pitch on Saturday and why shouldn't they be allowed a good old fashioned pitch celebration after all the suffering they have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish tiger View Post
    League club that lost its way,stadium is a decent league 1 stadium tbf.
    Just goes to show that once youÂ’re a league club you gain a lot of followers who get attached and continue to follow even if they donÂ’t stay in the league, Hereford,Torquay are other examples.
    Well if as likely we get switched North next season that's two of the big away following from Whaddon Road gone Stockport and FCUM relegated although I suspect the away following has dipped since then?

As said Stockport should in reality be a league club (its amazing that Torquay have bounced straight back into the National League) and they (Stockport) have taken some 5 seasons or so, with gates of that size and the pool of players in the North west they have under performed massively so about time they went up in all honesty.
    Hard to imagine that Stockport County and Manchester City where league rivals from 1997 to 2002, when the two clubs spent three out of five seasons in the same division and during the 1998/99 season, Stockport were a division above Man City - So anything is possible but one has had a mega rich investor I guess!

What odds can you get on Nuneaton spoiling the party? They are flat bottom by miles and also bottom of the form table. Hadn't realised that. What's gone on there?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    What odds can you get on Nuneaton spoiling the party? They are flat bottom by miles and also bottom of the form table. Hadn't realised that. What's gone on there?
    It's all pretty murky but the main issue is off field issues draining the club. They've been facing HMRC court action but seem to have been given a reprieve - their bank account has been unfrozen - and with the income they'll get from the Stockport game, plus some new local directors on board there is optimism at least that they'll be able to stay afloat and start again next season. One oddity is that their ground is/was owned by Norman Smurthwaite, chairman of Port Vale- but who now is reported to be interested in selling his interest in Vale and investing in National League candidates Notts County.

They've had massive problems with the rugby club sharing there too. Recall one game where the turnstiles were blocked purposely by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Joly's Publicist View Post
    They've had massive problems with the rugby club sharing there too. Recall one game where the turnstiles were blocked purposely by them.
    They locked us in the car park few seasons back and I recall on our last visit the bar staff said that they locked them in the clubhouse after a game