Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Club Badge

Quote Originally Posted by GDE View Post
    Guys
    Please don't assume gender.

I thought all efforts were going into avoiding relegation and then we're applying for trademarks for new badges?

It looks crap, red and yellow looks crap, but then we're supposed to not care because otherwise we won't get a stadium built.

I’m not a fan of it at all. In a day and age where sports clubs are moving towards cleaner designs to market themselves, we’re moving away from it. It’s just so, so busy.

There seems to be a quite a few flaws with it. The text at the top is squashed up, the trim around it just gives me a headache, what does the Latin have to do with us, the font is terrible and on top of that the shield in the middle looks copied and pasted from elsewhere. Obviously not happy with there being red on it also but that’s another debate.

It’s also really bizarre as pointed out by Charlie that if there was going to be a ‘launch’ then how does it end up on the site like that? Of course we’re going to see it.

I’ve shown it to a few football fans at work and it’s just been met with laughter and they’re showing me pics of Gloucester Rugby’s badge saying this is what a real club badge looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by MeadowClark View Post
    It’s also really bizarre as pointed out by Charlie that if there was going to be a ‘launch’ then how does it end up on the site like that? Of course we’re going to see it.
    The site says 'launched' so I guess we must have missed it....although I did hear some fireworks the other night, maybe that was it

Quote Originally Posted by MeadowClark View Post
    I’m not a fan of it at all. In a day and age where sports clubs are moving towards cleaner designs to market themselves, we’re moving away from it. It’s just so, so busy.

There seems to be a quite a few flaws with it. The text at the top is squashed up, the trim around it just gives me a headache, what does the Latin have to do with us, the font is terrible and on top of that the shield in the middle looks copied and pasted from elsewhere. Obviously not happy with there being red on it also but that’s another debate.

I’ve shown it to a few football fans at work and it’s just been met with laughter and they’re showing me pics of Gloucester Rugby’s badge saying this is what a real club badge looks like.

They did not say that when it was first launched it was like Leicester Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by GDE View Post
    [/B]

They did not say that when it was first launched it was like Leicester Tigers!
    They weren’t rugby fans I asked so I doubt they had any opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    I'm in two minds about this badge. A logo should be instantly recognisable, just like our old logo was, and capture someone's attention. I like the new badge, I just think it's a little busy. Don't like the font at all, but a huge fan of the the ship/quays/cathedral on the logo, that is a brilliant idea. It'll probably grow on me mind.

Thought for a few years we should design a kit with the city landmarks on, and with the logo I reckon it would like very tidy (maybe a yellow outline on the away kit?).

The only disappointing thing is this was the perfect opportunity for the club to make a big song and a dance out of the re-brand, and not hide it away on some random page on the website. Again, compare our re-brand to that of Gloucester Rugby... such a missed opportunity.
    I would have preferred a "proper" launch but in reality what would we realistically expect? The Sky Sports blimp floating over Gloucester with the world's media camped outside Meadow Park? I mean we barely get a mention from our own paper most of the time. Think some times we have delusions of grandeur, most people in the City won't give a flying f*ck about it to be honest whether it's stumbled across or shouted out by Alan Myatt during a 16th century war recreation.

Well I'm going to get off the fence, I've always thought the Tiger was awful and looked like an U12's kids football team logo. Sorry but it does, it's cheesy and tacky, imho. This new badge represents Gloucester in every way, Gloucester has no Tigers nor does Gloucestershire. A panther would have been better suited if the tales are to be believed...

Anyway, I like it. It needs to be tinkered and refined a little, the shield just simplified (it's a bit too detailed with the colouring, doesn't need to be.) but it's a go from me. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Joly's Publicist View Post
    I would have preferred a "proper" launch but in reality what would we realistically expect? The Sky Sports blimp floating over Gloucester with the world's media camped outside Meadow Park? I mean we barely get a mention from our own paper most of the time. Think some times we have delusions of grandeur, most people in the City won't give a flying f*ck about it to be honest whether it's stumbled across or shouted out by Alan Myatt during a 16th century war recreation.
    Realistically, in reality, I think we would expect the club to at least make an attempt to appear as if some thought had gone into the decision rather than just casually putting it on the website, itÂ’s basic communication and I donÂ’t think thatÂ’s unreasonable. We canÂ’t moan at not getting coverage when we donÂ’t even properly announce things like this. Like the lack of consideration given to announcing the change of colours, it comes across as sloppy and amateurish, and letÂ’s be honest we have regressed as a club in the past few months. If someone is going to join the club all guns blazing dictating how things should be done then they should at least make sure they are an improvement on the last lot. Sadly this isnÂ’t the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Joly's Publicist View Post
    Think some times we have delusions of grandeur
    Quite right, we're just the plebs, we don't deserve a professionally run club with effective communication.

It’s a hard pill to swallow when something you don’t want to happen is happening anyway and being done in an amateur way.

At least if there was a bit of professionalism about the way the colours and badge were being announced then you could at least see the club is trying to do things right. Instead we get hearsay of new kit colours stands after it was flashed around at an away game and a new badge that just happened to appear at the bottom of one of our pages on our site.