Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ask Alex/Chris/Rod/Roary

So just to summarise so far:

1.) The shareholders met and decided to change the club colours because of a 35 year old grudge, but didnít get round to deciding who will actually build the stadium which is due to be finished in 9 months time.
    2.) AP has appointed himself an unknown position which appears to be somewhere senior to chairman, but also seemingly involved being Director of Football, on the basis of having coached a kids team.
    3.) All player movements are hush hush and known only to AP and Cook because people canít be trusted not to make a mistake...
    4.)...we still donít know what exactly happened with JoJoís loan, a keeper whoís loss could have a major impact on our survival chances

Think thatís about right

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeglos View Post
    Si Robin, did you miss the non league days? I know it must have been a great feeling to have had the success to get there. I think football is like a drug, we all crave for that high that winning gives, you can still be smiling on Tuesday after a Saturday win.
    I can't say I do, but then I was only 14 when we were promoted to the Football League, and our one season back in the Conference felt no different to a normal league season because that league is a lot more professional than when we were last there (I think only Rushden, Doncaster and maybe Hereford were full-time when we were promoted - and I'm not 100% on the last two).

I have been to other non-league games in that period, Cirencester a couple of time, FGR before Vince took over and a fantastic trip to Stafford to see Cheltenham legend Neil Grayson, and the community aspect of each team I went to was certainly more prevalent than any Football League ground I've been to. It's something that Cheltenham held onto for a long while - it's also something that's used as a stick to beat us with by young lads who've never known us as a non-league team (bar one season) and think we lack ambition.

I did promise someone (Noah I think it was) that I'd get to a City game at some point after your friendly with FGR in 2007 - sadly things always seem to get in the way, and now I have a litter of kids even getting to Cheltenham home games is a challenge these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Name View Post
    Before Brandman posts I think that you mean National League rather than Conference.

Well! someone has to act the school mam and keep you lot on the straight and narrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Robin View Post
    A couple of years after we were promoted in 1999 I bumped into a couple of people in the Hewlett Arms in Cheltenham who I recognised from when I first started going in the Southern League days. They told me they'd stopped going about 6 months after promotion because the club just wasn't the same to them anymore. That professionalism had taken their favourite aspects of the game away from them - the changing ends at half-time, the drinking in the bar with the players after the game and a few other things.

They're watching (or were when I last saw them a good few years ago) Bishop's Cleeve now for their Saturday fix. And if that makes them happy, then who am I to criticise.
    I agree totally, sadly the higher you go you lose the personal touch / family club type of feeling - even if we go to teams who used to be in the football league you are often allocated an area of the ground with basic facilities etc. We have so few regulars we know each other personally...

This is the Isle of Man kit & an Barcelona shirt from a few seasons back, give you an idea of what our new kit may look like.
    The Barca one is a bit flamboyant but sticks out like a sore thumb. Might make a good third/away kit
    282142.jpgimg_1470.jpge5def-barcelona-14-15-senyera-kit2b1.jpg
    Last edited by Gloucester Nomad; 10-03-19 at 11:18 PM.
    Nil illigitimi Carborundum

Maybe in the spirit of fan engagement, we could vote on the away kit? Choose between two (or more) different blue kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigermatty View Post
    So just to summarise so far:

1.) The shareholders met and decided to change the club colours because of a 35 year old grudge, but didn’t get round to deciding who will actually build the stadium which is due to be finished in 9 months time.
    2.) AP has appointed himself an unknown position which appears to be somewhere senior to chairman, but also seemingly involved being Director of Football, on the basis of having coached a kids team.
    3.) All player movements are hush hush and known only to AP and Cook because people can’t be trusted not to make a mistake...
    4.)...we still don’t know what exactly happened with JoJo’s loan, a keeper who’s loss could have a major impact on our survival chances

Think that’s about right
    Just to add a bit more to what are already some valid points.......

There was going to be a fans forum, promised by both Rod and Chris, but this has all gone extremely quiet, AP doesn't want to host one which is fair enough but what about the Chairman and Vice-chair?? When pressed on if one would still be going ahead the response from AP was - I can't speak for others sorry, but I doubt it... and i won't support it.

Does anybody else on here think a forum is no longer required then?

The 5yr X-blades kit deal has been cancelled after only 1 year but we're not told why, odd when it was seen as such a big coup for the club less than 12mths ago.

Permission is needed to start the season at one ground and then finish the season at Meadow Park,
    AP states - (not saying where yet, sorry, so please don't ask) and finish the season at Meadow Park. So can we interpret that we may not be at Evesham then? If not where?

I understand the biggest deal is just getting back and 95% of people on here are content with that and promises of it being by Jan, and I appreciate AP sharing information and answering a number of queries on here, but for me there is still a hell of a lot of stuff being overlooked and left unanswered, are we supposed to just adopt the attitude of 'you'll get your stadium and it'll be asap but in the meantime ignore anything else going on'?
    Last edited by Woody; 11-03-19 at 12:21 PM.

My understanding was that the return in January was a target that was set by the club and not a promise. Like in all things, you need to set a target to work towards. A lot can happen to mean the target is achieved or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Der Floof View Post
    My understanding was that the return in January was a target that was set by the club and not a promise. Like in all things, you need to set a target to work towards. A lot can happen to mean the target is achieved or not.
    Well the whole purpose of the massively scaled back plans was to get the club back ASAP as the number one priority, and the original aim was for the start of the 19/20 season but if it was going to go beyond that then most prospective Ďlandlordí clubs wouldnít agree a groundahare for less than half a season hence late 19 early 20 being spoken about. That was a worst case scenario though. If things have been altered which will make those timescales unachievable then that needs to be communicated because we got a motion of support from the council on the basis of being back this year.