Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Alex/Chris/Rod/Roary

Talking of local talent ask Mike Cooke if he remembers playing in the Paganhill Youth teams. Along side Cookie who went on to Coventry was Ian Olny ,Aston Villa, Gary Marshall, Coventry, Simon Blythe, Bristol City and later captained Tuffley and Customade FC and not forgetting Burnsie all local talent.This and last season we have uncovered Noah who I'm sure will go a long way so the players are there they just need to be discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by young alfie View Post
    I think you're wrong there Neil I think we are well situated where we are We have Bristol City and Rovers just down the M5,Chelt,Newport,FGR, Swindon and Oxford not an hours drive away. Bath are on the verge of a play off spot and they rely on local players and Hereford have a wealth of talent on their books some not even making the bench.These players wont want to come and play on a farmers field in Evesham but next season with a competitive budget in a new stadium who knows.
    One step at a time.... step one we stay up, step two get home and step three we build the club. I'd love to jump to step three too, but we need to make sure the club is ran correctly before we jump in to deep. We're currently a long way from being sustainable. Lots of clubs build new grounds and get it very very wrong. Plymouth Argyle is one i was close to when they fell like a stone over it. Coventry. Southampton, Doncaster, Blackpool the list goes on. Yes Arsenal got it wright, but i'm not Stan Kroenke who's currently valued at 8.8 billion. But i'm also not 71, so figures crossed one day!

AP

I don't think Southampton got it very wrong. Coventry don't own the Ricoh (a bit like us I guess) and think the problems at Blackpool and Coventry are caused by the oweners, not the stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I don't think Southampton got it very wrong. Coventry don't own the Ricoh (a bit like us I guess) and think the problems at Blackpool and Coventry are caused by the oweners, not the stadiums.

Southampton built their ground around 2001 had to cut budgets to pay for it and fell outside the prem from 2005 until 2012.... to me that's a disaster. Coventry did own their own ground until 2006 and had to sell it to pay off debts and Blackpool built a ground they couldn't afford and the owners just got it all very wrong after that....

AP
    Last edited by Alex Petheram; 08-03-19 at 01:43 PM. Reason: can't spell

Question from me.

Do you all want to go back to Meadow park at all costs regardless of football on the pitch and results?

For me this is not a option, I want to maintain the current level, treading water accepted, get home, get stable and have a go at trying to get us up... but this takes time and i mean years not days and yes it also means more loan players, up to five loan players too.

AP

I thought Coventry's stadium was built by the council tho I see the club did own 50% which they sold. So I was wrong.

I stil don't think Southamptons situation should be descrived as a disaster, but agree it is a matter of opinion. Over my lifetime (I'm old) I wouldn't say Southampton were a natural top flight club but one that regularly moved between the two top divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    I thought Coventry's stadium was built by the council tho I see the club did own 50% which they sold. So I was wrong.

I stil don't think Southamptons situation should be descrived as a disaster, but agree it is a matter of opinion. Over my lifetime (I'm old) I wouldn't say Southampton were a natural top flight club but one that regularly moved between the two top divisions.
    No worries, I'm a bit of a geek around business models and construction stuff. Doing my day job I need to understand who and how people fund and build. Cheers

AP

I'm not suggesting we play at their level but loan some of their players when they don't require them or release them. As for Meadow Park as long as it's in Gloucester with stands that keep the wind and rain out it's fine by me.

Southampton went into administration too so in a way cheated local businesses out of their money owed so they could have their generic looking stadium.

Can add Darlington to that list too and the Safe Cracker arena!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Petheram View Post
    Question from me.

Do you all want to go back to Meadow park at all costs regardless of football on the pitch and results?

For me this is not a option, I want to maintain the current level, treading water accepted, get home, get stable and have a go at trying to get us up... but this takes time and i mean years not days and yes it also means more loan players, up to five loan players too.

AP
    As it stands promotion from Step 3 is very hard to achieve as only 6 teams can go up across 4 divisions. That for me is one of the main reasons why we have to stay at Step 2 and build it up slowly when we get home and get settled. We would also lose a lot of cash by going down a league and it would probably take just as long to be competitive there.