Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GAME, SET and MATCH

GAME, SET and MATCH

GAME
    I have often heard people say about football, that it’s just a GAME. Well at National League level it is more than that. I have now racked up 21 years of being involved at this level and learnt a lot. And by the way having made many a mistake in the process, so my comments come well balanced.

SET
    Three elements in my opinion make a team/club in football at any level. The only difference at the differing levels is they are always played and planned by better players, managers and club personnel who are quicker in making and taking decisions which SET the future in a game, season or indeed the future of the club itself.

SET can be identified thus:
    Skill
    Effort
    Tactics

I will leave it for others to SET their own levels where our Club has been this season in each of those three categories?

MATCH

After 25 matches played and with only 18 points (0.72 per game) secured, the inescapable truth is that we would need from 17 matches left (51 possible points) around 26 points (1.52 per game) to avoid relegation. That is some ask on the playing budget at its current level.

Even if the playing budget was increased substantially (and where does that come from by the way) it will require a miracle worker to hit such a target and change the mindSET throughout.

Therefore does the current board of directors have the desire to throw money at it or accept the inevitable and ensure that the new ground is pursued with vigour and in the process look to get the club back home by accepting it will be cheaper to build a C Graded facility and even look to play elsewhere than Evesham in the interim at a lower level.

It is a conundrum for sure and no mistake. No doubt when the anticipated fans forum takes place in a couple of weeks those who have to make the ultimate decision will be asked to clarify their intentions.

Underpinnings all decisions; and there are more questions than the limited ones outlined above, must be the long term view. Relegation is not always a disaster if it is planned in the same way as promotion. Letting it just happen would be a disaster and you only have to look at Stockport,York and others in recent years.

Those who have followed my posts over the years will be aware that I have always said to avoid relegation from the outSET you need to SET targets around the bottom 8 clubs. I will not detail here how that has gone this season but clearly in previous seasons the club managed those games well. Not the case this season.

I cannot see from the remaining 17 games the club even getting 13 of the 26 points I outlined above. The picture was clear back in early November and nothing has changed. It is no good now throwing good money after bad. Added to this the chances to get into the Play Off positions makes it even more difficult for struggling clubs than ever before to pick up points from other clubs who on paper have nothing to play for. It changed last year and clubs should have noticed how the final third of the season grew in intensity for all clubs and not just a few.

The Forum planned will be very interesting to hear views from the top table.
    Last edited by Brandman; 06-01-19 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Great post Colin, certainly a lot of valid points and questions that require answers, whether those answers will be provided or fully acted upon by the board, and whoever takes on the managers role will have a large bearing in what league and where the club competes at next season.

Hopefully things can be fiddled so that other clubs get demoted on technicalities and we survive, like a certain other Gloucestershire side had twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Joly's Publicist View Post
    Hopefully things can be fiddled so that other clubs get demoted on technicalities and we survive, like a certain other Gloucestershire side had twice.

Regulations are much tougher now and Clubs have to submit budgets and financial returns every three months, so the chance of any club being thrown out is rather slim. By the way there were no technicalities involved. If you don’t pay your taxes or other debts and spend it on players then you deserve what you get,

One can never say never: but you must still finish top of the relegation pile to benefit. Even that will require a cash injection on the playing side surely?

And to answer the other part of the quote. That other club did make plans to be in the best position it could and like it or not see where they are now. Take away the envy and other rivalry which might exist and look at hard facts. Reality comes in many guises.

Individuals at that other club also helped City in their time of need and it wasn’t they who made them move away to Cirencester. The rent was very very reasonable and a certain individual got City £10,000 through a personal plea to the Premier League. Not a lot of people know that!
    Last edited by Brandman; 06-01-19 at 10:47 AM.

Well said Colin

Depressing and reasonable. Anyone know why no ground updates have been made for some time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeglos View Post
    Depressing and reasonable. Anyone know why no ground updates have been made for some time ?
    Ask Ray Tango he will be able to throw some light on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeglos View Post
    I felt that the twitter updates were really good and went a long way to winning back goodwill and positivity not just among the fan base but with the wider Gloucester population also.

It’s a shame they’ve stopped, maybe something to bring up at the fans forum?

The facts are that during our time in exile we've had people involved in the club who have had the experience and knowledge required to keep a club like ours operating at National South level, especially in our unique circumstances of being homeless since 2007.

Colin has been involved in the past and has no doubt provided numerous points of advice to the various boards that have been in place during this time.

Tim Harris, Shaun Wetson, Mike Dunstan, Nick Preece, Taff, Colin and probably more that I've forgotten to mention have for a variety of reasons stepped away from their roles with the club over the last couple of years.

We may now have people involved who have the resources and experience to deliver a new stadium back in Gloucester but, have those people got the experience and knowledge required to keep a club like ours operating at National South level??

I'm yet to be convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandman View Post
    The Forum planned will be very interesting to hear views from the top table.
    I see very little point in that. There is little that can be said that will make this situation any better and will probably only cause acrimony.

We need a new manager and a new spine of the team in the next two weeks. That's the only talking I want to hear.