Thread: Gpsfa

Gpsfa

I have put a few words together for the FA Cup programme this week, on the subject of girl's football. My association with this burgeoning sport has brought me into the orbit of the GPSFA, and has prompted the neurons in my brain to communicate with the synapses in my fingers, resulting in the image which your optic nerve is now relaying to your own brain.

GPSFA stands for, amongst many other things(1) Gloucester Primary Schools Football Association and is made up of 3 boys teams and a girl's side. I was amazed at how many names I recognised in their past players section, many of whom have gone on to play for City. Its an amazing set up, playing teams from around the country, and gives the youngsters a taste of what might happen for them later with excellent coaching and facilities, post match meals, coach travel to away games, programmes etc etc. Amongst many helpers, the driving force is Bob Owen, a name who many will recognise as he has been behind youth football for more years than Joe Green has had hot dinners (2). He has been put forward along with our very own Tom Webb in the Gloucestershire Sports Awards, for contributions to Gloucestershire Sports.

One of my favourite characters down there is someone known to Gloucester City as a photographer over the years (3). This chap is never seen without a camera in his hand, which has almost got him into trouble on a few occasions (4). He even took a few 'snaps' at my wedding to the first Mrs Shandy (5). I am taking of course of Tony 'Sticky' (6) Hickey, brother of Ricky and Mickey, and uncle to Dickey, Vicky and Tim. He rarely makes a City game these days, on account of his polaroids. The funniest thing I heard about him was a couple of years ago when there was some serious speculation that he, of all people, was Banksy! But that's a story for another day.

If this post was a car journey then I have just reached the end of a cul-de-sac with a broken gearbox, so I am going to turn off the engine, get out of the car, and walk home from here.

(1) I cannot think of any
    (2) More than 30, less than 50
    (3) Not Neil
    (4) Once while playing guitar on a tightrope over a barrel of hydrochloric acid, while picking his nose
    (5) And still the current Mrs S, although this is subject to a rolling 2 year review against a series of objectives I have laid out in a Wife Action Plan.
    (6) Named not because of a penchant for glue sniffing, but because of his love of Werthers Originals, as befits a man of his age.

The GPSFA has done a fantastic job of nurturing players and many of the current City lineup have been coached and mentored superbly by Bob Owen (Joe Hanks, Noah Smerdon, Spencer Hamilton, Tom Webb etc etc). I have only ever heard people say good things about their child's experience at the GPSFA, numerous tours (but not an elitist 1,500 per child tour) and events with the children enjoyment at the forefront. In the days of numerous (and in my opinion money making) development squads with many appearing no more than glorified village teams with football league strips to wear, the GPSFA has been a superbly run institution.

And in relation to that photographer, all I've heard him do over the past few weeks is moan about a shredder that only does 2/3rds of its job...

Quote Originally Posted by runcorn flag View Post
    The GPSFA has done a fantastic job of nurturing players and many of the current City lineup have been coached and mentored superbly by Bob Owen (Joe Hanks, Noah Smerdon, Spencer Hamilton, Tom Webb etc etc). I have only ever heard people say good things about their child's experience at the GPSFA, numerous tours (but not an elitist 1,500 per child tour) and events with the children enjoyment at the forefront. In the days of numerous (and in my opinion money making) development squads with many appearing no more than glorified village teams with football league strips to wear, the GPSFA has been a superbly run institution.

And in relation to that photographer, all I've heard him do over the past few weeks is moan about a shredder that only does 2/3rds of its job...
    Why is he worried about Banksy? Does he regard himself as an artist?