Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meadow Park - The New Home of Gloucester City AFC

Meadow Park - The New Home of Gloucester City AFC

I have the very great privilege of sharing the same air space as numerous and lovingly crafted match programmes over City's history, stored in the 'back room'. One of them jumped out at me this avo, the stadium opening match against Leicester City, which included some interesting ground building facts:

Pitch work commenced 16th September 1985
    1,000 tonnes of special sand dredged from the Bristol Channel imported onto pitch.
    Almost one and a half miles of land drainage laid and due to low lying ground a pumping main installed.
    Preparation complete in 21 days
    Pitch seeded October 1985
    Total new ground costs will be in the region of £350,000 which has been raised by the sale of the existing lease at Horton Road
    Total ground capacity of around 7,000
    Commercial Office for our successful commercial staff of six who turned over in excess of £500,000 in Lottery sales last year

Stadium opened by Billy Wright and the oppo included Mark Bright, Russell Osman and Steve Walsh. We had Martin Lander.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy. View Post
    I have the very great privilege of sharing the same air space as numerous and lovingly crafted match programmes over City's history, stored in the 'back room'. One of them jumped out at me this avo, the stadium opening match against Leicester City, which included some interesting ground building facts:

Pitch work commenced 16th September 1985
    1,000 tonnes of special sand dredged from the Bristol Channel imported onto pitch.
    Almost one and a half miles of land drainage laid and due to low lying ground a pumping main installed.
    Preparation complete in 21 days
    Pitch seeded October 1985
    Total new ground costs will be in the region of £350,000 which has been raised by the sale of the existing lease at Horton Road
    Total ground capacity of around 7,000
    Commercial Office for our successful commercial staff of six who turned over in excess of £500,000 in Lottery sales last year

Stadium opened by Billy Wright and the oppo included Mark Bright, Russell Osman and Steve Walsh. We had Martin Lander.

Problem was where was the water meant to be pumped too and who had all that sand - probably floated down Sudmeadow Road in the floods, MP poorly thought out from day 1

The pitch was laid under the guidance of experts from Aberystwyth University and was immaculate, but as you say the pumping business was a regular problem

Immaculate it was but when times became hard there was little or no money spent on it. Let’s hope it isn’t the same this time around.

Out of interest, where did you used to watch the game from at Meadow Park? Apart from a six month period where I sat in the main stand, I used to stand in the open end or T-end dependent on which end we were shooting towards.

I had the pleasure to fulfill a boyhood dream and play on the hollowed turf in a Sunday league cup final, Scored a stunner in front of the T-end aswell lifted my shirt over my head ran towards the T-end ( thinking the goal was for City) pulled my shirt back down and realized the T-end was empty and the 200 fans ir so we’re in the main stand.

I once scored against Gloucester City in the T-End when I converted a penalty I won, after Adie Harris got agricultural with me in the box.

I could've scored in front of the T-End but the ball hit a divot

I hit the post at the T-End, but scored at Whaddon road.....and then ruptured my ankle ligaments.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

went to the New MP today and there was a hive of activity with what looked like a builders portacabin being moved into place