Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fan base

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy. View Post
    Why is that Si?

We of course are traditional rivals for many of your fan base, but seeing as its 20 years since we last played in the league then I would expect other rivalries to have developed. And as Gloucestershire's #1 placed club then surely you would see the little club on the Hill as the team you would want to beat most these days. Not just because of taking over the #1 mantle, but also because of the threat they carry in checking any expansion south of your fan base. The obsession on the Nest with FGR suggests they ARE big rivals, but you don't want to admit to it because it validates their success and threat.

Who'd have thought that 20 years or so ago, when City were on the brink of a Wembley Final, that we would now be talking about Cheltenham and Forest Green (Forest Green!) in the Football League. While this might stick in the craw of many a City fan it does show what is possible, and locally, once we get our act together.

A prism of light at the end of a very shitty tunnel.
    Sadly Shandy for many of the die hard older fans like me if we ever are in with a chance of the football league it is unlikely to be in most of our lifetimes given the rate of progress in the past 20 years, unless a character like D.V comes along that is. As much as we dislike him its probably due to the fact the only reason FGR are where they are is him. Prism of light lets hope so but it can't come soon enough for the average age of fans I see at most games these days

Firstly because I don't like what they've become. They're only a couple of steps away from being MK Dons, and if they do move to Jct 13 of the M5, then are they really that much different? It's a matter of time before they finish a season above us (this season will be it I think) and I refuse to let that get to me. We all know how they've achieved what they have, and we all know that when Vince does chuck the towel in, which he will eventually as he doesn't have a bottomless pit of money, they're going to drop much further than they were before he took over (if they even still exist).

Secondly, because I can't stand this whole having to have a rival because your traditional one is too far away to be considered one. Gloucester is Cheltenham's rival, and that's how it should always be, whether in football or anything else. I have a lot of admiration for Gloucester City and their fans on this board, I can't imagine going through what City fans have in the past 11 years, but I'll tell you this now, I want the Robins to batter the Tigers in every single game between the clubs, from U8s right up to the first team. I dread City going on a cup run and drawing us in Round 1 because I'm terrified of a cup upset. In a way, I'm lucky that I missed our league games in the mid-90s when I started going to Cheltenham games because it means I haven't seen Cheltenham lose a meaningful game to City - on the other hand, I'd love to see a proper derby and not some made up crap that I had to witness in April of this year.

Please don't admire us.

Quote Originally Posted by Severnside View Post
    it can't come soon enough for the average age of fans I see at most games these days
    Our fan base is much younger than you think. Its watching City that adds an extra ten years to most faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Please don't admire us.
    He meant everyone but you, Neil.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Robin View Post
    Firstly because I don't like what they've become. They're only a couple of steps away from being MK Dons, and if they do move to Jct 13 of the M5, then are they really that much different? It's a matter of time before they finish a season above us (this season will be it I think) and I refuse to let that get to me. We all know how they've achieved what they have, and we all know that when Vince does chuck the towel in, which he will eventually as he doesn't have a bottomless pit of money, they're going to drop much further than they were before he took over (if they even still exist).

Secondly, because I can't stand this whole having to have a rival because your traditional one is too far away to be considered one. Gloucester is Cheltenham's rival, and that's how it should always be, whether in football or anything else. I have a lot of admiration for Gloucester City and their fans on this board, I can't imagine going through what City fans have in the past 11 years, but I'll tell you this now, I want the Robins to batter the Tigers in every single game between the clubs, from U8s right up to the first team. I dread City going on a cup run and drawing us in Round 1 because I'm terrified of a cup upset. In a way, I'm lucky that I missed our league games in the mid-90s when I started going to Cheltenham games because it means I haven't seen Cheltenham lose a meaningful game to City - on the other hand, I'd love to see a proper derby and not some made up crap that I had to witness in April of this year.
    FGR - I'm not saying they have done it the right way, but that have done it. Jealousy and loathing (for what they are) creates rivalry as much as traditional party lines tribalism. I tend to agree with your future musing of FGR.

I'm also with you about the whole club rivalry between the two clubs, it even exists at my daughter's level (U12s) where we hammered Cheltenham 9-1 last week, and are unbeaten in at least 3 years with dozens of goals for and very few against. I wasn't going to mention it, but you forced my hand

Nothing wrong with rivalry, and intense at that, as long as it is left behind after the game and it is controlled passion within it.

I love seeing a Cheltenham fan saying they want to beat us at everything and mocking us on Twitter as it shows they still care after 20 years!What I have found with FGR rise up the leagues is that I dislike Cheltenham less as they our what I would call a real football club,I still believe in my lifetime we will see another derby between us but it will be more than lightly in the NL rather than L2.