Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan base

Fan base

I was reading a thread on the Robins nest about who they would follow if cheltenham went bust.....(Thanks Shandy for posting a bit of sense in the thread).

Obviously as league status stands they have a bigger fan base than us but if we were playing at the same level in a few years would there be such a huge difference in fan base?

Looking at the facts:
    1-Gloucester is a CITY which holds the county’s name.
    2-Gloucester has a population of nearly 20000 more than Cheltenham and growing.
    3-In 2019 Gloucester will be playing (hopefully) in the newest stadium in the county right on the doorstep of one of the best places in Gloucester (quays)

With those facts we have the potential to be the biggest club in Gloucestershire again maybe that’s me being naive but it’s the reason that I love football....,Hope!!!

I don’t know numbers but I would imagine that when City and Cheltenham were at the same level the fan base was similar.

Even though technically FGR are the highest placed team in the county I still see them as the smallest of the 3 of us.

you missed one minor point...

Gloucester has a top flight "catch" team which enjoys the majority of all local media coverage - and will continue to do so until a local football team reaches the Premiership.

I dont believe that the rugby club affects the football club as much as everyone says... What do they get 13000 every other Saturday? That leaves 117000 free to possible watch football.If FGR can get 2500 we will get more but obviously depends on the level of football being played.

Rather than the rugby I think our biggest 'competitors' to drawing larger crowds are TV games and that a lot of football fans 'support' Man U, Man C, Chelsea etc.

As you say there are tens of thousands of people in Gloucester who follow football, we have to convince them that an afternoon at Meadow Park is a more rewarding and enjoyable experience than sitting in their armchairs and watching the 'stars' on their TV in their own home.

And we also have an entire 'lost generation' who have grown up without a team representing the city actually in the city.

I think our crowds will naturally increase when we arrive back home, but I'm not sure by how much. I'm sure the club has plenty of promotions to try and get people in, as there are lots of opportunities to do so.

I do agree that in my mind I think that FGR are the smaller club, but I think most people looking in would disagree sadly.

It'll never happen. Gloucester people want it and they WANT it now. That pub landlord in Quedgeley said he wished that Gloucester had a football league team.

Lets not forget, we werent pulling in good crowds in the years before the floods.

Like Neil is saying, the only way to get really decent crowds is to have success.

The only way I can see us getting regular 2000-3000 like our neighbours is to get up to League Two.

I have to agree with Mr Ike.

I reckon the rugby pull affects us more than the other clubs, but the pull is much greater than just the City - they come in from all parts of the County and even beyond.

Not sure we will ever have a massive fan base and get much up the leagues, but at this moment in time I would settle for getting back to Gloucester, getting up into the Conference Premier and being competitive, and having a decent four figure crowd*. With a decent crowd this will pull in more fans, as there will be a bit of an atmosphere, and going to the football will become a day out for many, especially groups of lads looking for a focus to the Saturday jollies.

*Not just 4, 44 or even 444. I mean 1000+

Not sure I agree, rugby supporters used to come to MP, it’s all about the facilities at the new stadium and the success on the pitch.
    What has happened since the flood is that the whole of the Hempstead area has been transformed hence we will have a decent stadium within walking distance from ancillary parking. I cannot wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Pims manager again View Post
    Not sure I agree, rugby supporters used to come to MP, its all about the facilities at the new stadium and the success on the pitch.
    What has happened since the flood is that the whole of the Hempstead area has been transformed hence we will have a decent stadium within walking distance from ancillary parking. I cannot wait.
    How about not clashing with the Rugby club when they are at home on a Saturday?
    Surely when we get into the N.L.P it would make sense to schedule games so as not to clash when Rugby is on?

Other clubs do it and it may help us get a few who would go to both?

Getting kids along has to be priority to recover the lost generation schemes such as kids for a quid, or family tickets or kids go free...

For a season or two to get them back following city again?

I agree with everything said,Its true that the surrounding area of Hempstead has developed hugely since the floods and MP isnt any longer I. The middle of a trading estate,No doubt that many people watch rugby and football I was one of them but have always preferred football,I want Gloucester rugby to do just aswell as City as they represent The Gloucester name.
    Another valid point that someone made is that the rugby followers are from all over the county not just Gloucester and I think Mrike is right about the TV football fans, Need to get them away from the TV and in the T-END and they will come back.