Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Player news - any idea when?

I console myself with the fact that Ricco obviously knows about these players, and he knows what we need. In much greater detail than us on both points.

He wouldn't not be signing the likes of Mills because it didn't occur to him, or because he couldn't be arsed. There are many factors that we have no idea about. Can't afford them, geography, whatever.

Ricco has a set amount of money to assemble a squad, and he's doing so as he sees fit, with a lot more information at his fingertips than any of us have.

He did alright last season, so I say let's just leave him to it!
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

That might be so Dave, but that’s the sort of communication that should be coming from the club, not from you. Clearly fans are after some reassuring actions / activity / communication.

We could do with a Severn Sport exclusive on how Rico is finding his first preseason preparation and foray into the ‘transfer market’.

In fairness the club signed three players last week and the widely publicised story included quotes from Ricco:

“We’ve been a little quiet in comparison to other clubs so far but it was imperative that we take our time and sign the right sort of players. I obviously know all three lads from their previous spells with us and they are returning to the Club already understanding the mentality and what it takes to play for Gloucester City.”

“I’m delighted to be able to welcome Adam, Jack and Mat back and as I’ve said before, we are a Club that values not just ability but the right attitude and these lads have both in abundance. I’m talking to a few others and I am building a team that I believe will be competitive in the coming season.”

This isn't a criticism of anyone working at the club currently as I understand that all have full-time jobs and club responsibilities have to fall around that, but the current level of communications from the club is minimal and at its weakest I believe it ever has been since the club became active on social media outlets. We seem to have about 1-2 tweets per week at the moment and for a club like us who are plying their trade away from home and trying to keep our head above water, we need to be marketing ourselves at every opportunity.

Looking at other clubs 2-3 leagues below, they are actively advertising their pre-season friendlies, signings, interviews with players, new kit progress etc and keeping their brand active to their followers. I am by no means an expert at marketing and social media, but I follow Hellenic clubs and Midlands Prem clubs and I don't actively seek information on them, but I know more about what they are up to in terms of starting pre-season training, friendlies etc than I do about City who I actively look out for.

Like I say, not a criticism of the current people in charge of this, as I know their time is stretched. However, and I know this may be difficult as the club are trying to provide a consistent message as any organisation would, but the club social media outlets need to be stretched (in my opinion) beyond the people currently doing it to lighten the burden. This would require some sort of screening of people to do it, as a lot of trust would need to be involved with the people who are given the responsibility of access to the social media accounts, but I think it is fair to say the club needs to be in people's faces more on social media and getting our message out there. If we are looking to give ourselves the best chance possible of getting those fans on the periphery interested and through the gates, we need to pumping out the message of Gloucester City as much as possible akin to other teams in close proximity and in our league too.

Excellent post Mr H.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

Spot on RF, we were told early on that the club would be growing its brand and connecting with the community, with such things as Gloucester City TV, linking in with local unsigned bands as an example, but it appears to have stalled somewhat.

I agree it’s hard work for just a few. We need to see a clear strategic plan that we can all support and get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by runcorn flag View Post
    This isn't a criticism of anyone working at the club currently as I understand that all have full-time jobs and club responsibilities have to fall around that, but the current level of communications from the club is minimal and at its weakest I believe it ever has been since the club became active on social media outlets. We seem to have about 1-2 tweets per week at the moment and for a club like us who are plying their trade away from home and trying to keep our head above water, we need to be marketing ourselves at every opportunity.

Looking at other clubs 2-3 leagues below, they are actively advertising their pre-season friendlies, signings, interviews with players, new kit progress etc and keeping their brand active to their followers. I am by no means an expert at marketing and social media, but I follow Hellenic clubs and Midlands Prem clubs and I don't actively seek information on them, but I know more about what they are up to in terms of starting pre-season training, friendlies etc than I do about City who I actively look out for.

Like I say, not a criticism of the current people in charge of this, as I know their time is stretched. However, and I know this may be difficult as the club are trying to provide a consistent message as any organisation would, but the club social media outlets need to be stretched (in my opinion) beyond the people currently doing it to lighten the burden. This would require some sort of screening of people to do it, as a lot of trust would need to be involved with the people who are given the responsibility of access to the social media accounts, but I think it is fair to say the club needs to be in people's faces more on social media and getting our message out there. If we are looking to give ourselves the best chance possible of getting those fans on the periphery interested and through the gates, we need to pumping out the message of Gloucester City as much as possible akin to other teams in close proximity and in our league too.
    To be honest, you are correct in what you say, there hasn't been as much content as I would like in terms of social media posts. However as you've correctly pointed out, it's because we are trying to keep a professional and consistent tone, PLUS also trying to ensure that any news which comes out is 100% accurate. I don't want to get supporters hopes up in terms of transfer rumours or news until we know things are a done deal. It disappoints me that people think that our social media output is at the weakest it's been as I've done my best to up the game regarding GIFs etc recently because I genuinely want to provide all the Supporters with a better quality of service, also I don't want to put anything out there that isn't relevant and is just "content for content's" sake. I've been criticised this season for putting out Vanarama tweets and early bird play off tickets for play off finals (and it's something the Club HAS to do!) so you can hopefully understand hesitancy around our social media posting sometimes.

Essentially, comparing us to other clubs is tough because we're still in a transition phase, it's mine (and A LOT) of people at the Club's first Pre-season and we're all still learning...this season has been a complete baptism of fire. Other Clubs are more established in terms of they know what their key milestones are in preseason and are able to plan their Comms around that. They've also got teams of trusted individuals in place who can be relied upon to keep the consistent Club message and spread the work load. I'm doing my best to recruit a team that I can trust to do the day to day social media posts and engagement, so I can focus on the long term goal of getting us home and engaging with local businesses to help make that happen.

I've actually ended up taking on more than just the Social Media/Communications side of things and I know that you all want more content, news, transfer activity, interviews and the like and believe me, it will be coming. We've got the update next week (I'm aiming to put it out Friday) where we'll have some news about the progress on the mast (which is the absolute bane of my life!) and we'll have some other positive news as well around the Club's activities etc.

I've not taken this particular post as a personal jibe, I read the COF to get an understanding of what you all want and how best to deliver it to you, because ultimately, even though I grew up a die hard Chelsea fan in West London (yes even BEFORE Roman put his money in!), I genuinely love this Club and promise to do my best for you all this season and beyond. The people involved with this Club genuinely do care. Everyone. We're all working extremely hard to get this Club back to Gloucester and I'll admit, sometimes it's tough to even look at Twitter as you just need a break. It's not because as some people might think, it's through disrespect, or the fact that we're not working on things because trust me, we are.

If anyone wants to contact me, to either offer insight (or criticisms, I'm open to that as well), to help out, to volunteer, please do, my email is chris.gage@gloucestercityafc.com and I promise to respond to any and all messages. Like I said before, I've generally not posted on the forum, but feel like I needed to somewhat defend the Club's inactivity on the Official channels as this is my remit. We are working on things in the background believe me and as soon as news is ready to go, we will deliver it in the right way.

Thanks for reading my essay, Hopefully it's provided a bit of insight.
    Chris

Thank you Chris, some encouraging insight in there. Hopefully as the things you allude to land we as fans will naturally become more positive about the future.

By the way, Re the tweets, I would agree with you on the quality of the GIFs etc, that one with signings on shirts was really good, I think the comments are more about the volume than the quality/value.

Thanks for the detailed response Chris and as said before, it's not a criticism as such but an observation. As GetUsHome has advised, its not the quality of tweets at all, the gifs etc have been superb, but the volume. With your responsibilities in and outside of City, I understand the media side is another time consuming thing and you can only cut a cake so many times before the slices are too thin.