Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: World Cup squad

Vardy doesn't need a winger, he needs someone to ping balls over defences into the right areas.

I think the only mistake Southgate has made is omitting Jonjo Shelvey who is, arguably, the most in-form English midfielder at the moment.

I think this could also be Raheem Sterling's big breakthrough tournament - he looks a different player since Pep took over at Man City and if he can take his league form into the International game then he's a superstar in the making. Very easy to forget he's still only 23 years old.

I'd have taken Beckham.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Robin View Post
    Vardy doesn't need a winger, he needs someone to ping balls over defences into the right areas.

I think the only mistake Southgate has made is omitting Jonjo Shelvey who is, arguably, the most in-form English midfielder at the moment.

I think this could also be Raheem Sterling's big breakthrough tournament - he looks a different player since Pep took over at Man City and if he can take his league form into the International game then he's a superstar in the making. Very easy to forget he's still only 23 years old.
    Agree with everything you say,But in the case of Sterling.., I rate him but how many of his 18 goals have come from tap ins at the back post after some great play from De Bryne o Sane? Can’t see Henderson or Ashley Young being able to provide the same service unfortunately.
    Last edited by Spanish tiger; 17-05-18 at 08:50 PM.

Having witnessesed so many flops by England at tournaments in the past I find it difficult to get any interest now. I’d love to be proved wrong at some point in the future though

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Der Floof View Post
    Having witnessesed so many flops by England at tournaments in the past I find it difficult to get any interest now. I’d love to be proved wrong at some point in the future though
    Ditto!

Having been lucky enough to be alive and old enough to remember 1966 - I watched the final in France whilst on a School Trip in the summer after I finished school.

Unfortunately I refuse to be drawn into discussions about this year’s World Cup as it is in Russia and therefore in protest I won’t talk about it.

England to get knocked out in the semi finals, by the way.

The squad is only good enough for a Second Round exit, we’ll be lucky to get any further and will be relying on Kane to be on form.

We’ve lucked out with the group draw, anything remotely as strong as the last World Cup and I think we’d have gone out in the group again.

Every striker needs a winger. I like watching England games. I like going to Wembley and sitting up in the top tier. I think you get a much better idea of what's happening than watching on telly. It seems that it always takes England teams an hour to work out that they aren't going to walk the ball into the penalty area and they need to get behind the full backs. We need wingers.

The thing that bugs me is there seems to be a lot of quotes preparing us for failure such as , Young squad, few caps etc etc... Exactly the same as 4 years ago!

We’ve got a better squad than 4 years ago, but we still lack an experienced keeper, at least one top centre half, an inspirational captain and adequate numbers in the centre of midfield.