Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Gardner

Keith Gardner

I know we’re going back 20 odd years... Was he to blame for us nearly going out of business after the “nearly” season? I’ve always wondered who was to blame as I was a young lad when this happened,I have seen KG mentioned on here and on tiger roar but in a more positive way which is confusing if he was to blame...

Was KG the owner and the chairman at the time?

Cheers

From a personal point of view I’d say he wasn’t to blame but I can see why supporters would blame him. He gave us a taste of the good life and it was bloody marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Tango View Post
    From a personal point of view I’d say he wasn’t to blame but I can see why supporters would blame him. He gave us a taste of the good life and it was bloody marvellous.
    So who for you was to blame?

I could buy a Porsche but if I couldn’t keep up with the repayments they would take it away....

I know some think it’s risky having an owner like that, but it was awesome and if we’d have got the result versus Salisbury, who knows. The fact is although it didn’t end well, we still talk about those years to this day and still will in 50 years. I don’t think we’ll be talking about the endless lower mid table finishes in years to come.

From what Leroy said when we had the supporters night the other year he was certainly to blame as he had no money. As much as that season was great in many ways, in my view if we had been promoted we would have gone bust. As it was we only just survived and I think it was his fault.

I donÂ’t think itÂ’s worth gambling the clubs future,And whoÂ’s to say that if we had a ground in the last 10 years we wouldnÂ’t have been at the top end of the table rather than below mid table finishes,Since thiose days we seem to have been an unlucky club and on the other hand Cheltenham seemed to have all of the luck, Which makes it harder to take even more so!

You’re right, it’s not worth gambling the clubs future although we did survive. Would be nice to see even a budget on par with other clubs in our league one day though.

I don't really think luck comes into it. Cheltenham were properly financially managed and despite some times of unrest from fans with regards to them wanting the club to spend more and/or move to a new stadium Paul Baker sailed a steady ship and kept their heads well above water.

As for us, we spent beyond our means in the mid to late 90's and personal circumstances on KG's side meant the bottom fell out. We could complain about bad luck with the floods but we knew we were on a flood plain and had been flooded before and very little had been done as a contingency in case it reoccurred. That's just bad planning.

Wasn't it all going swimmingly until his missus caught him with his willy in his best mates and vice chairmans wife?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Tango View Post
    I am entirely in agreement with all that you say. I think we shall be in a smallish minority mind you