Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some light reading

Some light reading

With the postponement of today's game, I thought you may be interested to read my programme notes.

Good afternoon and welcome to the Hartwell and Spires Jubilee Stadium where we welcome St Albans City for this afternoon's Easter weekend Vanarama National South encounter.

I would like to extend a warm welcome to our visitors from Hertfordshire who will be looking to consolidate their place in the end of season play-offs with a positive result today. We gained a memorable victory at Clarence Park earlier in the season so hopefully we can complete the double this afternoon.

Our own play off ambitions, which were a non starter anyway due to us groundsharing at Evesham, were effectively laid to rest at Hemel Hempstead last Saturday. A spirited second half performance from the Tudors merited a deserved victory, although by a fine margin. The early loss of Harry Williams was a massive blow and having taken the lead with an excellent Ed Williams strike, I felt we always needed to score again to secure the points. That said, we competed well against a very good side who look a decent bet to make the play-offs. I do not like to single out individual players, but to watch the talented Edward Williams every week is a pleasure to behold. Can we retain his services for next season?

The list of departures from our football club increased this week with the resignation of club secretary Shaun Wetson. I speak to Shaun on a regular basis and was both saddened and angered by his departure. Highly regarded for his dedication and expertise, this is a massive loss to Gloucester City. I know Shaun fought hard over his decision, having held a position of secretary of the club for 11 years, but felt he had reached the end of the road. On behalf of all supporters, I would like to thank Shaun for his dedication and loyalty and we will undoubtedly see him at future games as a fan.

Whilst not wishing to distract for Rico’s outstanding turnaround of fortunes on the pitch, there are clearly problems elsewhere. Over a relatively short period of time this club has lost a host of dedicated, experienced, hardworking people. I find it hard to accept that this has been allowed to happen. The systematic failure to run our football club on a sound basis, with a lack of open discussions and honesty at the forefront greatly concerns me. In any organisation leadership stems from the top and without that problems only multiply. Despite recent events, you may have noticed that I am still here. I often ask myself why but always reach the same conclusion. The unique, dedicated and irreplaceable supporters of this football club (most of whom I regard as friends) are the reason.

Hopefully, following the end of this amazing run of results, our acting Chairman will attend games, mingle with supporters and attempt to address their increasing concerns. I have, like most of you, read the Open Forum and Social Media and am saddened that during such difficult times we are pulling in different directions. I know that those who care deeply about this club are hurting and hoping desperately, having spent eleven years in exile, that our day will arrive.

The football club desperately needs to attract new sponsorship in readiness for our anticipated return home to Meadow Park. This would appear to be a thankless task given the ongoing off-field turmoil.

A number of us managed to have a brief chat with Tom Hamblin after the Hemel game (he is still struggling with a long term injury). When asked when he would be returning to the Tigers his response was “ when you return home to play in Gloucester”.

I will end of a positive note. The Trust are holding a Quiz Night on Friday 13th April at the Walls Club, Barnwood. Full details can be found in today’s matchday programme. Pop into the club shop to enter a team.

We bring the curtain down on another season when on 4th May we all gather at Walls Club for the End of Season Presentation followed by a Celebration to mark the amazing career of Tom Webb. I hope we can achieve a full house on what will undoubtedly be a memorable evening.

I travelled on the supporters coach to Hemel Hempstead where we all enjoyed a singsong with a diverse choice of music. As the bus pulled into Meadow Park we were greeted by the David Byrne and Talking Heads classic “ We’re on the Road to Nowhere” Sadly this song title appears rather apt at present.

Enjoy the game and the Easter break and hopefully I will see you all at the Bath City game on Monday.

Taff Compton
    Chairman of Supporters Trust

I travelled on the supporters coach to Hemel Hempstead where we all enjoyed a singsong with a diverse choice of music. As the bus pulled into Meadow Park we were greeted by the David Byrne and Talking Heads classic “ We’re on the Road to Nowhere” Sadly this song title appears rather apt at present.

A word of warning, if a stranger with an apology for a beard invites you out this weekend be wary, you might think you are going to a car rally, but you would be wrong!

Happy Easter!

A good read that is Taff and a reflection of the mood amongst us all at the moment

Honest set of notes, Taff, eloquently written. Thank you for setting out where we stand. If the leadership of the club was half as good as yours, leading the Trust, we would be in a much better place.

👏👏👏👏

Good notes Taff. You don't have the read very far between the lines to pick out some of your extreme frustrations mate.

Agree with all of the above. The infrastructure assembled under Brandmans tutelage has all but gone. I hate to think what the atmosphere would be like had we continued our poor run.

Well said taff great notes

Thanks for sharing Taff, echoing what a lot of us are feeling at present

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Thanks for sharing Taff, echoing what a lot of us are feeling at present
    Not a lot Lee but all of us.

Very well written notes Taff and very informative. It is indeed hard to watch this great club being managed in such a shambolic way. Perhaps the time has come to ask the question of our owner..........exactly where are we going? and how long truthfully will it take to return to MP?
    The late great Caped Crusader would have insisted on truthful answers before continuing to commit any further funding from the Trust.
    Things cannot continue the way they are........