Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Thomas

Rod Thomas

Not Rob!

Anyone old enough to remember him? Revered as one of our successes but only played ten games for us before being transferred to Swindon's youth team. He was just 17 when he played for us. Did we have a youth team in the 1960's?!!

http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/rodthomas.php

Yes I remember him playing for Wales against NI at Windsor Park, funny but I can hardly remember whom Glos played the week before last!

If it's the fella I think it is, he was a good friend of my Dad, and he used to run the Fostons Ash?
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

Yep, that's him. My Grampy's favourite pub!

My dad used to go to Horton Road and stand alongside a postman, who called Rod Thomas "sticksy legs" (and so there are a couple of coincidences there). He was barely 17 at the time and he was what we called an inside forward. At his age he did well to cope with the hurly burly of football on that mud heap. I suppose that I saw most of his games. And of course I predicted that he would turn into an international left back.

I remember Rod, and the postman could well have been my late brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    My dad used to go to Horton Road and stand alongside a postman, who called Rod Thomas "sticksy legs" (and so there are a couple of coincidences there). He was barely 17 at the time and he was what we called an inside forward. At his age he did well to cope with the hurly burly of football on that mud heap. I suppose that I saw most of his games. And of course I predicted that he would turn into an international left back.

Hi Noah!

From what I can remember he played at left back when I saw him!

I googled him and it said he was a right back, so I thought with time I was mistaken, glad you said he was a left back, and i'm not losing my marbles just yet!

Have I got my seasons wrong because I think he only played at Longlevens.

Watched him many times for Wales. Very talented player. I am friendly with Ken Skeen who knows him well - Ken played with him at Swindon I believe. Perhaps we could invite him to a game when we move home!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Have I got my seasons wrong because I think he only played at Longlevens.
    Rod played in our last season at Longlevens.