Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1950's

Kyle Haynes
    Impressive attendances there. We were at a similar level back then weren't we? Were the bigger attendances back then related to the lack of football on TV (and lack of TVs in general)?

Jim Clark is just a name to me so reading tales like that is brilliant!

Richard Kear
    I remember catching the bus out to Longlevens to see a game and Jim Clark, an amiable Scotsman, was on it. He must have been running late, but he played

Richard Kear
    Quote Originally Posted by London Tiger View Post
    About 10000 for a friendly against Tottenham at Longlevens in the early 60's I believe.
    Early fifties it was. I have two copies of the programme. One I bought on Ebay, with Mike Dunstan and Tim Harris also contributing. It is to replace the one that was stolen from Meadow Park where it had been framed and hung on the wall.

By the early sixties I am afraid that things had deteriorated. I was shaking a tin in Kings Square as part of a club campaign. The tin was marked "SOS - Save Our Soccer"
    Last edited by Noah; 31-01-18 at 08:26 PM.

Following the tweet about Eddie Parris earlier (our first black player) which notable players from the 50's onwards were actually black? As stats they're just names. Would love to know more about these players.

Richard Kear
    I don't remember black players in the fifties, or indeed in the decades that followed. Did someone tweet that Steve Johnson was the first that most can remember ? That feels about right. Mind you, if you saw him you'll not have forgotten. My programme from the Meadow Park opening has just one autograph, and it's his.

I've got the Tottenham programme somewhere, it belongs to Wittsy. I'm "looking after" it for him.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tigeri...7624341081351/

Richard Kear
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I remember catching the bus out to Longlevens to see a game and Jim Clark, an amiable Scotsman, was on it. He must have been running late, but he played
    Can't help thinking that had we stayed at Longlevens we may well have been a league club years ago, Horton road was the start of my time that ground promised so much but delivered nothing of note apart from the original T end....

Richard Kear

There was no TV in those days, most wives didn't work, so they "owned" the house, so the men cleared off to the pub or football!

Also the cost of getting in, six pence for kids, nine pence for adults in the unreserved side and a shilling for the nobs in the reserved side, cheap day out!

Ps. I know that Gloster kids get in for duck, they don't even have to "climb over"!

Mark Hardcastle
    I was born in Hucclecote then moved away a couple of years then came back & llved in Coney Hill (no not the hospital) in the mid 60's for 3 years. I was about 7yrs old and an uncle of one of my mates (can't remember his surname now) played for City at the time so we went to Horton Road a few times. Then moved up to the north Cotswolds and lost track of things apart from looking at the teams results & progress. To be honest Gloucester has always been a rugger city but back then all sports were local, attendences were high & the only footie you got on TV was normally MOTD. Not getting nostalgic here but back then everybody seemed to know someone who played for a decent local football / rugby side & turned out & supported them. Then over the years more TV coverage came along & more people got cars to travel away to watch the bigger teams etc. That is just the natural progress of society in the UK. We really need to get back to the city soon & on the doorstep of the local citizens.