Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1950's

1950's

If there's any interest, all of the GCAFC results from the 1950's are now on TR

http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/results1950s.php

(thanks to TigerTimbo productions!)

Looked an interesting era. Quite a few consistent goalscorers there. I've plotted teams for two seasons so far

53/54 http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fix19531954.php
    54/55 http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fix19541955.php

Richard Kear
    It's fascinating, Neil.

Connor Thompson
    That's what they call him!!
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

There was some huge attendances, Does anyone know what the biggest ever attendance was at a City home game?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish tiger View Post
    There was some huge attendances, Does anyone know what the biggest ever attendance was at a City home game?
    About 10000 for a friendly against Tottenham at Longlevens in the early 60's I believe.

Connor Thompson
    10.5k and we won as well!
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

Dominic Dunton
    Great attendances in those days someone asked where have they all gone I expect most are dead. I lived in Wincanton and our local club was Yeovil, My father would take me to all home games we would pay a shilling to ride down in a fruit and veg van. The crowds was so large that they would pass us kids over their heads so we could sit on the touch lines. The best games were when Merthyr was in town the Taffs would commandeer the stands and sing Land of my Father it always ended in fighting.In those days the coppers carried wooden truncheons and they used them too.

Crowds nosedived in the 70's. It was a real lean era that had followed a spell in the proper Southern Premier, the clubs highest ever placing.

looking at the 50's I think Rob Coldray would've been a real favourite of mine.

Steve Crouch
    Thanks Neil, those were the days!

We used to watch the players train in the evenings and I remember Jim Clark cycling into the Longlevens ground, we asked him for his autograph he duly obliged.
    He then told us it was late so get home to bed it was only 7pm.

How times have changed but not always for the better.

Richard Kear
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    looking at the 50's I think Rob Coldray would've been a real favourite of mine.
    Yes Neil, you would have loved him. He was as determined as they come. Always gave 100%. When he was hypnotised by Henry Blyth there was real concern that he could self-destruct