Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Statement from Chairman of Supporters' Trust: 15 January 2018

Statement from Chairman of Supporters' Trust: 15 January 2018

The reinstatement of financial support to the Football Club was one of the many important agenda items discussed at last weeks Supporters’ Trust Board Meeting.

The Trust Board, elected by its members, are responsible for ensuring that we expend the generous contributions by our members to the extent that it benefits both the supporters and ultimately the Football Club. As was the case last week, we take great pride and care in reaching our decisions.

An unanimous decision was made to contribute to the playing budget the sum of £250.00 per week until the end of the current season. This is in addition to the existing budget agreed between the Football Club and first team manager Marc Richards.

I would like to explain the reasoning behind our decision. Since our unforgettable 2009 victory in the play off final against Farnborough and promotion to the Conference North, supporters of Gloucester City have experienced many unforgettable and successful years, often battling against the odds, to maintain our current league status.

The messages we receive are that the supporters are desperate for this to continue, especially with the imminent return to Meadow Park. We want to give Marc Richards every chance of maintaining status in the National League South. The cash injection will allow Marc to boost the strength of his squad.

From a Football Club perspective, relegation would undoubtedly have an impact on future commercial activity, sponsorship and matchday attendances both currently and when we return to Gloucester.

After several conversations with the Football Club, I am pleased to report that our decision has been met with their approval. The Supporters’ Trust will continue to work with the Football Club in order to ensure that the voice of the supporters is heard.

Finally, we would like to express our thanks to the supporters for their continued support during what has been a very difficult period. This was typified by the recent Annual Draw fundraiser which raised the sum of nearly £2,200 - a record profit since the 2011/12 draw.

Taff Compton
    Chairman of Supporters’ Trust

Well I didn't foresee this landslide of comments Mr Compton!

Your thoughts people? Happy with the decision?
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

My initial thought after seeing this was “Can the trust afford it?”

But, the Trust is run by people who know what they’re doing and ultimately, wouldn’t ever dream of putting it at financial risk.

If the Trust feel that this is worthwhile then I 100% support it, £250 should be able to get in a player or two!

Mere pocket change to a man of Taffs calibre.
    Pitying people who need to drink alcohol to have a good time since 4th June 2017.

More than happy, that's what we pay in for, more money in , stronger team. better results,happier supporters, can throw away the tinters ( MAYBE)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Since our unforgettable 2009 victory in the play off final against Farnborough and promotion to the Conference North, supporters of Gloucester City have experienced many unforgettable and successful years
    I must have missed those!

All jokes aside, good idea to put some money into the playing budget. Would be good to see that matched by our multi-millionaire owner to bring the budget up closer to the second from lowest budget club in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by MeadowClark View Post
    I must have missed those!
    I guess relegation battles are unforgettable and not being relegated deemed successful?

I personally think it's another black mark against the regime that they won't stump up much needed extra money to avoid relegation, to me it shows that they don't care if we go down.

Fair play to the trust, but shouldn't really have come to this.

If the new player comes in and keeps us up, it'll be worthwhile, but fear it sets a precedent for the future.

I've always been a big supporters of helping supplement the playing budget from when I used to organise the Fans' Fund, so I'm certainly behind this idea. Good job.

The age old concern is always that the previous budget is cut so the Trust just makes up the subsequent short-fall. It's always difficult to ascertain where the money is going (I believe it sometimes went on goalie gloves and physio equipment before....).

Hopefully it works out well though. Get a £250 p/w striker in pronto.

May I ask was the help with the budget from Marc Richards to enhance the squad or to keep our heads above the financial water?

Either way I am in total agreement.

It's been specifically stated that the Trust are making a contribution to ADD to the existing and agreed wage budget.
    The sum being given will only continue subject to that budget being maintained, so supporters can rest assured that Trust money is being spent to give Ricco a bit extra, rather than subsidising the clubs costs.