Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England U20's

Bagasan Graham

England U20's

So how many watched England U20's win the World Cup today?

Is this the start of a new generation of players coming through the ranks for England or will it be a case of disappearing into the sunset once they get to the point of only being available for the senior squad?

Hadn't the Venezuela goalkeeper been playing for two years? Our senior keeper can't even get a game.

Bagasan Graham
    Said in commentary that he played 3 games for the national team including World Cop qualifier against Chile where he saved a penalty for Sanchez.

Trouble is that a lots of these players might get a handful of games in PL but will be overlooked for a foreign player.
    Last edited by Eric Van Der Floof; 12-06-17 at 05:23 AM.

Ryan O'Hara
    Very well done to the England lads.

Which of our players have had representative honours ? I am reminded by my friend, Tiger Roar, that Darren Mullings played for England Colleges u-19 and England Schoolboys u-18 in the same season

Bagasan Graham
    Spencer and Ed represented England Universities earlier this year. Does that count?

Ryan O'Hara
    Certainly does. I couldn't be sure about their selections, but I'm at three and counting now.

We've had quite a number of full internationals if you care to look back far enough . . .

And we had a player who once shook hands with the mayor of Cheltenham
    Last edited by Noah; 12-06-17 at 10:43 AM.

Citizen headline right there!

Bagasan Graham
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Citizen headline right there!
    Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it

Our U17's also won the World Cup not long back, followed by our U20's, who also won the Toulon Tournament. The U21's agonisingly lost to Germany on penalties in the Semi Final.

Imagine if we could have beaten Germany in a Semi on penalties. That would work miracles mentally for them in the future. I just hope they can move and forget it, not be plagued by it like previous generations.

Things are finally going right for us though. Now it's just a matter of the clubs developing them further and giving them game time. Unfortunately I don't see that happening unless they're playing for Southampton or Tottenham etc who give young English players a chance.

We can dream though, nothing wrong with that. At least Scotland are probably out (again) their misery makes being an Englishman that bit easier.

Kenny Howard
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Weston View Post
    Now it's just a matter of the clubs developing them further and giving them game time. Unfortunately I don't see that happening unless they're playing for Southampton or Tottenham etc who give young English players a chance.
    Very true, given the money and financial pressures of staying in the elite its a bold manager who would have the nerve to give youth a try. I would like to see more English lads trying their luck abroad if they cannot get game time at a premier league club, you would hope the experience would rub off on them rather than sitting on a bench at the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd etc