Thread: England U17

Ricky Chandler

England U17

Many years ago when football was about the fans and not just about money meadow park hosted an England U17 game,probably around 1991/92 I was there was anyone else? If so can you remember anyone playing and if they went on to have a successful career?

Bagasan Graham
    I can remember us hosting the game but that’s about it. Think it was either Wales or Scotland that played.

We also hosted the England non league team (against Wales) when MP had only been open about a year.
    Last edited by Eric Van Der Floof; 09-30-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Ricky Chandler
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Van Der Floof View Post
    I can remember us hosting the game but thatís about it. Think not was either Wales or Scotland that played.

We also hosted the England non league team (against Wales) when MP had only been open about a year.
    Cheers Eric,I'm sure it wasn't the non league team, But now you have mentioned the Scotland and Wales I'm thinking maybe it was a tournament and there were a few games one after the other, I had a look on tiger roar to see if I could find something but with no luck.

Robbie Savage played for Wales didn't he?

Ryan O'Hara
    went to both great occasions for the club

Ryan O'Hara
    We were selected to hold the games because the stadium was quite modern for its day and most importantly the superb playing surface.

Steve Crouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladfans View Post
    We were selected to hold the games because the stadium was quite modern for its day and most importantly the superb playing surface.
    Happy days. There is no place like home. Take me back to paradise city where the grass is green ETC ETC

Steve Crouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladfans View Post
    Happy days. There is no place like home. Take me back to paradise city where the grass is green ETC ETC

Bagasan Graham
    Done some research into this.

It was an Under-18 Schoolboy International for the Centenary Shield played on 16th March, 1991. This was an annual triangular tournament which also included Switzerland, who won it. I think that it later became the British Championship. All three games took place in the same week. The game finished 2-2, with Robinson and Holland scoring for England. The programme’s available here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/England-Un...-/232484567593

Ricky Chandler
    Nice one Eric, Cheers